This year's Nine Worlds will take place at the Novotel London West. We'll be running up to 250 programme items covering all aspects of modern geekery.
What's the venue like?
Novotel London West is a large conference hotel in central Hammersmith, with room for 2,000 attendees to enjoy Nine Worlds. In addition to the venue's bars, cafes, restaurants, and terraces, we'll have a mix of content and social spaces both large and small.
They were also our hosts in 2016, and were unfailingly polite, helpful and efficient in our interactions with them. We have worked closely with them over many months of discussion and negotiation, to ensure that attendees have an even better time than last year.
The hotel is in one of London's major leisure and commercial centres. It is easily reachable by both public and private transport. In addition to our onsite facilities, there are numerous eating, drinking, and boarding establishments in the immediate area.
Tell me more!
- Lots of rooms for content - In keeping with tradition, the venue has lots of large conference rooms, meaning we can run load of different things at once, all weekend.
- Dedicated conference space - The main conference area is for attendees and staff only, so you can cosplay in peace.
- Space to chill - There's a lot of social space to relax in outside of sessions, including outdoor terraces and some rather nice bars.
- Fancy ballroom - There's a main hall for keynote panels, performances and DJ sets, with concert quality AV.
- No getting lost - The building layout is easy to navigate, and corridors and open spaces can handle heavy traffic.
- Vendors inside - This year, we're including vendors in the main convention space, with a dedicated room and further tables in open areas. Wanna sell stuff? Apply today!
- Friendly staff - We've worked with the hotel staff to consider all aspects of the convention in detail and are confident in both their and our planning for and commitment to this year's event.
- Food and drink - The venue is taking account of the diversity of attendee requirements, and will be selling reasonably priced snacks, light food, and alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. There are also dozens of other local food and drink options covering a wide range of requirements and price points.
- Accessibility - Our accessibility co-ordinator has updated last year's access guidance, and will continue to finalise information in the coming weeks.
- Travel - The local area is well served by 24 hour tubes, buses, and taxi services. It's easily reachable from major train and coach stations, and is just off the A4 which continues on to Heathrow.
- Car parking - The hotel offers a £1.50 / hr attendee rate for the on-site car park, with no overnight discounts. There's also NCP car parking at Shepherds Bush, which offers advance booking. We'll publish further information on local parking options in the next few weeks.
- On-site accommodation - Our block of 300 rooms for attendees and organisers has sold out.
- Off-site accommodation- There are lots of other places to stay in the local area. We have agreed a booking rate with K-West that largely matches to that of the host hotel.
Wheelchair accessible rooms - We have already allocated on-site accessible rooms for people who require them, using the priority booking access survey.
Please be aware that, while we will be advocating for your needs with the hotel, your agreement is with them.
What should I do next?
First, if you haven't bought a ticket yet, then now's the time.
Second, figure out your accommodation and travel.
Third, if you want to offer occasional, low stress help with organising stuff at this year's event, join our Facebook organising group.
Fourth, if you want to appear as a guest, fill in our Participant Form.
Finally, brace yourselves.